Friday, February 6, 2015

Gettin' Back in that Writing Groove


Here, have a small teaser from Head Over Heart, Chapter Four! Thanks, Taaroko, for having a look at it for me! (She's one of my friends from the fanfiction.net community :) )

Aidan

“Don’t say that,” I said. “Mom had him busy with the horses. They had to make sure everything would be secure for the night so they would be warm.”
Cynthia shrugged. “I know.” She pulled her phone from her pocket and looked at the time. “I don’t want Lee to drive in this weather anyway. He doesn’t know how to drive the truck and his car is just as bad as yours is in snow.”
Something about the way she said that made me scoff. “My Nova can handle the snow fine.”
Cynthia raised an eyebrow. “I seem to remember a time when you backed into a ditch sometime about two years ago and had to use a shovel and a wooden block to get the car out.”
I rolled my eyes.
I hated it when she mentioned that. It was still embarrassing as fuck to this day.
“We won’t mention that,” I said. “Especially if you don’t want to walk to class.”
“You wouldn’t dare,” she said.
“You know I will.”                                       
“You’re a dick. That’s why things would have never worked with us.”
I knew she was joking but I couldn’t help but frown at her. Cyn huffed in response and I pulled out of the parking lot.
“Change in subject,” I said. “We’ve both been busy the past couple of weeks. How are things going with your new roommate?”
“It’s okay. She’s definitely not Briana. She leaves her shampoo everywhere—”
I braked too hard.
The truck slid a couple feet but I managed to stop it just in time so we didn’t pull onto the main road.
“Holy shit!” Cyn grabbed for the dashboard. “Be careful. I’d like to get to class in one piece!”
“Sorry,” I said, a little shaken too. “Don’t mention Briana out of the blue.”
“It’s been over two months,” she said. “You’re still not over her?”
“What am I supposed to say to that? She moved for no reason, so yeah, I am having trouble dealing because I don’t know if she’s okay or not.”
“How do you think I feel about it? I don’t know where she is either. Fuck, I still have her stupid futon and a couple other things Nikki didn’t bother to pack up. She won’t tell me anything either.”
“I gave up a while ago trying to get Nikki to tell me anything. She’s keeping her mouth sealed shut. I just wish I knew if it was something that I did wrong.”
“It’s nothing,” Cynthia said.
I felt a huge wave of confusion and suspicion wash through me. “What is that supposed to mean?”
I was driving and the roads hadn’t been salted yet so I didn’t chance a look at her. The thing about dating someone as long as I did, I knew she tensed up beside me.
“It has to mean something. Do you know anything about why Bri left?”
I chanced a look at her.
“Really. I don’t know anything, Aidan.” She released a nervous laugh. “Why would I know anything? She moved back to Kentucky. That’s the last I heard about her. Who knows why she decided to move suddenly; I’m betting it was the wild hair she forgot to pull out of her ass.”
“Cyn,” I scolded. “Come on, don’t be like that.”
“Well I’m sorry, I’m tired of watching you mope around. You won’t go on a date with my new roommate, and honestly I don’t blame you, but you should still try going on a date with one of my friends.”
“I’m not going to let you do that to me again. It never turns out well.”
Cynthia huffed. “You’re so difficult.”
“I don’t want to date, period.”
“No, you just want to pout and become an asshole since you aren’t getting laid. Bitching at me for not being able to carry two bales of hay like some kind of she-Hulk? Seriously, Aidan?”
“You normally don’t have a problem with it.”
“Not when it’s warm! When it’s freezing, I’d like to, you know, be sure I’m not going to slip and fall on my ass.”
“And I don’t need to get laid.”
“Yes you do! I have a friend who really wants to meet you.”
“You’ve fixed me up before and it didn’t work, Cynthia. I think it will be healthy for me to be single for a while. I’m trusting my gut.”
Cynthia made a little indignant huff and then turned my radio down. “Just because one girl took off you aren’t going to give another one a chance? Briana left in November, Aidan. It’s been long enough. I think you need at least a rebound fuck.”
“Cynthia,” I said. “I really don’t want to go on a date with anyone.”
“She’s got red hair and she used to be a cheerleader.”
Stop light. I groaned. Cynthia knew I had a fucking soft spot for red heads. That’s the reason my interested in Briana piqued in the beginning. Honestly I had thought about dating for a while but knew I wasn’t ready.
“She can bend her legs way far back behind her head and—”
“You’re not going to get me to take a girl out. I’m done letting you fix me up.”
“Don’t be a stubborn ass! I’ve talked about you constantly and I haven’t really known this girl too long so I kind of think she doesn’t count on with me fixing you up with one of my friends thing.”
“You’re talking to a girl who you’re not really close with about me? Great, Cyn. I’m feeling like you’re trying to pimp me out again.”
“I am doing no such thing.”
“That’s exactly what you did with Briana. And Jamie way before we ever met her, even though I didn’t go out with her because I was still trying to get used to the whole open relationship concept.”
“Come on,” Cyn said in a whiny voice. “I can’t date like I used to so I have to vicariously live through you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment